Tyne and Wear HER(16132): Gosforth, The Grove, Newlands and lodge - Details
Gosforth, The Grove, Newlands and lodge
Newlands is situated on The Grove, Gosforth. It was probably built in the late 1890s for the colliery owner John Henry Reah although there is some confusion over the construction date as the building is not shown on Reid's plan of Newcastle and Gosforth 1904. However, Reah is listed as the occupant in the 1901 census. The lodge to Newlands is shown on the 1898 OS plan. In 1891 Reah appears to have lived in the lodge prior to the construction of Newlands. The main house was converted to a school in 1947 which led to several alterations including the addition of a gymnasium and ancillary buildings (HER16133) as well as the demolition of a greenhouse. Subsequent alterations have taken place over the last 60 years.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2007, Newcastle School for Boys, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording