Tyne and Wear HER(16133): Gosforth, Newcastle School for Boys, gymnasium and classroom - Details
Gosforth, Newcastle School for Boys, gymnasium and classroom
Newlands (c.1890s) (HER 16132) now Newcastle School for Boys is shown on the 1919 OS plan with a garage NNE of the house. It was built for colliery owner John Henry Reah. Anecdotal evidence suggests that this structure was the first private automobile garage in Gosforth dating to the early 20th century. A second garage was built ENE of the house. Its date of construction is unclear but it may have been in place by 1924 and moved when the house was converted into a school. The gymnasium and classroom block were added in the late 1940s and 1980s respectively. The classroom block, garages and part of the gymnasium were recorded ahead of demolition in 2007 as part of a redevelopment scheme.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2007, Newcastle School for Boys, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording