Tyne and Wear HER(16137): North Shields, Smith's Dock, Baird's Graving Dock - Details
North Shields, Smith's Dock, Baird's Graving Dock
Marine Construction Site
Baird's Dock and quayside constructed 1913 for Baird Bros. This is the smallest dock on the Smith's Dock and A&P Tyne site. It was later amalgamated into the Smith's Dock Co. (after WWII) when the yard was extended. The dock is symmetrical in plan and runs at right angles from the riverside. It is of concrete construction with access steps down its northern face from aft and four altars (steps) per side. The straight, steel hinged gates are of riverted plate construction. The entrance head of the dock is flush with the timber quay line. It is 48.8m long, 13.7m wi9de and 6.4m deep. It was recorded in 2005.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2005, Smith's Dock and A&P Tyne, North Shields, Historic Buildings Recording