Tyne and Wear HER(16138): North Shields, Smith's Dock, Number 4 Graving Dock - Details
North Shields, Smith's Dock, Number 4 Graving Dock
Marine Construction Site
Number 4 graving dock was one of Edward's Bull Ring docks, constructed on the site of Collingwood's old dock and opened on October 17th 1889. The dock was subsequently extended on a number of occasions. Its present form was reached in the 1920s when it was extended to 149.3m, 20.7m wide and 6.9m deep. The dock runs at right angles from the riverside. It is of concrete construction with straight sides and a curved forward end. It had a single-leaf flap gate and the dock head is flush with the timber quayside. Four sets of stairs access the base of the dock, two aft, one forward and one midway along southern side. The dock was recorded in 2005.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2005, Smith's Dock and A&P Tyne, North Shields, Historic Buildings Recording