Tyne and Wear HER(1614): Newcastle, Pandon, warehouse - Details
Newcastle, Pandon, warehouse
A four storey building, built in brick with a roof of corrugated asbestos. The window openings which are almost square have brick segmental arched heads and stone cills. The north elevation is four bays wide, the second bay from the east containing the series of loading doors. One of a group of warehouses of similar design (HER ref. 1613-1619). May have been constructed by a man called Pollard who had extensive warehouse interests in the area at that time. In 1801 in return for allowing the construction of Forster Street through property he was leasing, Pollard was allowed the use of stone from the town wall. It is thus possible that the stone basements to many of the warehouses in the area may be built of stones from the town wall.
<< HER 1614 >> Joint Conservation Team, 1976, Survey of Area to the north of Quayside, between Milk Market & Broad..