Tyne and Wear HER(16148): Gateshead, Greenesfield Railway Works, pattern block shops - Details
Gateshead, Greenesfield Railway Works, pattern block shops
Railway Engineering Site
L-shaped range of buildings known at the pattern block shops originated as a series of structures. The first building, constructed between 1856-1864 was the north-south orientated 'Grease House' on the west side of the narrow alley beside the Police Station. Another rectangular block on an E-W alignment was built to the west in 1864 as a lamp room, brass-washing and tin-mans shop. The two ranges of buildings did not abut one another, being seperated by a narrow space carrying a drain or culvert which was subsequently blocked. The buildings were recorded in 2003 ahead of demolition.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Riverview: Greenesfield, Gateshead, Cultural Heritage and Archaeology Statement in WSP Environmental Ltd. Environmental Statement; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2003, Greenesfield Railway Works, Gateshead, Recording and Watching Brief; TWAS T311/1864/343