Tyne and Wear HER(1615): Newcastle, Quayside, warehouse 1 - Details
Newcastle, Quayside, warehouse 1
Warehouse built of brick with a hipped slate roof. It has an irregular plan, the walls at the north and south ends being splayed. The west elevation to Burn Bank has a high ashlar plinth and is three storeys high and six bays long. The first and second floor windows have square openings with brick segmented arched heads and stone cills. One of a group of warehouses of similar design (HER ref. 1613-1619). May have been constructed by a man called Pollard who had extensive warehouse interests in the area at that time. In 1801 in return for allowing the construction of Forster Street through property he was leasing, Pollard was allowed the use of stone from the town wall. It is thus possible that the stone basements to many of the warehouses in the area may be built of stones from the town wall.
<< HER 1615 >> Joint Conservation Team, 1976, Survey of Area to the north of Quayside, between Milk Market & Broad..