Tyne and Wear HER(16155): Gateshead, Brandling Junction Railway, stationary engine - Details
Gateshead, Brandling Junction Railway, stationary engine
No surface traces of the Stationary Engine built between 1836 and 1839. The Engine was abandoned before 1894. Site covered in oil tanks in 2001. The 60 horse-power engine at Greenesfield operated the rope-hauled Brandling Junction Railway Incline from Redheugh to Green's Field and Oakwellgate (opened 1839). The incline was used for passengers and goods.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Riverview: Greenesfield, Gateshead, Cultural Heritage and Archaeology Statement in WSP Environmental Ltd. Environmental Statement