Tyne and Wear HER(16157): Gateshead, Greenesfield House - Details
Gateshead, Greenesfield House
The earliest mention of the name 'Green's Field' occurs on the 1838-9 Gateshead Tithe Map (1838). The entry noted Green's Field as grass containing 9 acres, 3 roods and 38 perches. Green's Field had been purchased by the Brandling Junction Railway Company, together with the buildings and land adjoining on the east from Lord Ravensworth for £8700. The name of the field seems to have derived from one of the then occupiers Joshua Green, grocer, who in 1830 was owner of the site which became Green's Tannery in Mirk Lane. Detached house shown on the First Edition Survey Plan 1856.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Riverview: Greenesfield, Gateshead, Cultural Heritage and Archaeology Statement in WSP Environmental Ltd. Environmental Statement; First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan 1856