Tyne and Wear HER(16158): North Shields, Smith's Dock, Number 5 Graving Dock - Details
North Shields, Smith's Dock, Number 5 Graving Dock
Marine Construction Site
The original No. 5 Dock was one of the Edwards' Bull Ring Docks constructed on the site of Collingwood's old dry dock and opened September 1885. It was covered over in the late 1920s. It was utilised as an underground boiler house, compressor house and oil-fuel storage tanks of about 4000 tons capacity. A new Dock No.5 was constructed adjacent to and partially over the old No.5. It is skewed at c.65 degrees to the riverside and is of concrete construction with straight sides and an asymmetric, 'v' shaped forward end. It has two sets of stairs at the aft end and a long access ramp on the south side forward. A two leaf, straight, hinged steel gate of plate and rivet construction with timber walkway over survives. The dock is 152.4m x 20.7m and 6.16m deep.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2005, Smith's Dock and A&P Tyne, North Shields, Historic Buildings Recording