Tyne and Wear HER(16171): South Shields, Frederick Street, Tyneside flats - Details
South Shields, Frederick Street, Tyneside flats
The southern section of Frederick Street was recorded ahead of demolition in 2013. The street was developed through the 19th century as two rows of Tyneside Flats. Its development was driven by the rapid pace of industrialisation and influx of workers. The earliest reference to the street is Brigham and Cowan's map of 1827 which shows the street as planned rather than developed. A formal avenue of trees occupies land to the west of the proto Frederick Street, sugesting this was part of a landscaped garden perhaps part of the grounds of Laygate House (HER 16172). The First Edition OS plan 1856 shows Frederick Street as a dead end street with one row of around eleven properties and a church, all on the east side of the street. Trade directories describe the inhabitants as being 'clergy and gentry'. Much of the development in the Frederick Street area was driven by the Stevenson family which purchased Laygate House (west of the street) when they arrived at South Shields in the early 19th century. The family were also behind the establishment of the Frederick Street Presbyterian Church, formerly on the east side of the street. By the late 19th century Frederick Street was extended southward. During the first half of the 20th century the two rows of terraces were converted into shops. During the recording it was noted that the majority of buildings had lost their original features and many shop frontages had extended onto the street. No further change occurred until the 1970s when the southern extension of Frederick Street (after Reed Street Junction) were demolished.
Tyne and Wear Museums, 2013, Frederick Street, South Shields, Archaeological Building Recording; Brigham and Cowan map 1827