Tyne and Wear HER(16172): South Shields, Laygate House - Details
South Shields, Laygate House
Laygate House is shown on Brigham and Cowan's map of 1827 with a formal garden. The house was bought in the early 19th century by the Stevenson family from Glasgow. The patriarch of the family had become a partner in the Jarrow and South Shields Chemical Works. Laygate House was probably demolished shortly after c.1856 due to the planned re-development of the area for Tyneside Flats to house the growing influx of workers, and the family moved to Westoe village.
Tyne and Wear Museums, 2013, Frederick Street, South Shields, Archaeological Building Recording; Brigham and Cowan map 1827