Tyne and Wear HER(16175): Blaydon village - Details
According to William Whelan (1856) Blaydon was 'a considerable village' in the Parish of Stella. It was an industrial settlement which grew up around extensive chain and chain cable manufactories, chemical works, collieries, coke ovens, engine works, firebrick works, bottle works and iron works. In 1829 a suspension bridge was built between Blaydon and Scotswood. It opened in 1831. The Parish Church (St. Cuthbert's) was built in 1844. There were Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist Chapels. The Wesleyan Methodist Reformers met for worship in the mechanics institute. St Cuthbert's National School was built in 1853, the infants school in 1856. The Blaydon and Stella Mechanics Institute was built in 1852. Also in the village there was a Building Society and a Sick Benefit Society, both 'in a flourishing condition'. Blaydon Gas Works was established in 1853. John Palmer Dalton was the postmaster at Blaydon Post Office in 1856. There are 4 boot and shoemakers listed in Whelan's Directory, 6 butchers, 1 cartwright and joiner based at Blaydon Burn, two chain and chain cable manufacturers (Edward Hall and Robert Hall & Company of Blaydon Iron Works), two chemists - manufacturing (Blaydon Chemical Company and prepared bone manure) and GH Ramsay based in Derwenthaugh). Two coal owners and merchants (Joseph Cowen & Co, Blaydon Burn and GH Ramsay at Blaydon Main). Three coke manufacturers (the Marquis of Bute of Derwenthaugh, GH Ramsay and the Stella Coal Company). One engine builder (GW Hawdon and Sons). Four firebrick and gas retort manufacturers (W Cochrane Carr, Joseph Cowen & Co, W Harriman & Co and GH Ramsay). Two glass bottle manufacturer (North Durham Bottle Company and Blaydon Bottle Works). 10 grocers and provision dealers, 2 hinge manufacturers. 8 inns, hotels and taverns (Bee Hive, Black Bull, Board, Glass House Tavern, New Inn, Railway Inn, Red Lion, Royal Oak). 3 beer retailers. One iron and brass founders (GW Hawdon and Sons of Blaydon Foundry). 3 joiners. 1 nail manufacturer (Robert Hall & Co). 2 painters and glaziers. 1 saw mill owner (John Nicholson). 2 stone merchants. 1 surgeon (Philip Brown M.D. of Blaydon House). 4 tailors. 1 tallow chandler and 1 timber merchant.
William Whelan & Co, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham