Tyne and Wear HER(16177): Blaydon, mechanics institute - Details
Blaydon, mechanics institute
Described by Whelan in 1856 as having been erected by subscription in 1852. Cost over £600. 'A handsome and commodious structure, in a modern style of architecture'. Comprised a reading room, library and large lecture hall, which served as a school during the week and a place of worship for Wesleyan Reformers on Sundays. The newsroom held various journals and periodicals. The library held over 700 books. There were around 130 members in 1856. Joseph Cowen was the president, Thomas Valens, vice-president, Mr Oliver was secretary and William Elder, librarian.
William Whelan & Co, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham