Tyne and Wear HER(1620): Newcastle, Milk Market, The Tyne Public House - Details
Newcastle, Milk Market, The Tyne Public House
Public house, 1904 by E. Bowman. Brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys and attics; 4 windows. Bracketed fascia cornice to pub front on ground floor, with corner entrance; 4 sash windows above have wide architraves and glazing bars. Eaves string, dentilled cornice. 2 dormers have sashes under pediments. Ashlar string and cornice to left end brick chimney on steeply-pitched hipped roof. Included for group value. Bennison - originally called the Great Eastern Hotel. Became the Tyne, Closed in 1967 when it was a Scottish & Newcastle pub, having been bought by McEwan's for £8,375 in 1939. It reopened in 1991when the Waterline (HER 1619) was created out of warehouses. The Tyne became a 37 table restaurant called Moby Dick's.
Joint Conservation Team, 1976, Survey of Area to the north of Quayside, between Milk Market & Broad..; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 46 and photos on p 44 and 45