Tyne and Wear HER(16201): Houghton-le-Spring, Dairy Lane, Rectory Field - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Dairy Lane, Rectory Field
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
To the west of Rectory Park (HER8935) is Rectory Field. Historically this area formed part of the Glebe Farm (HER8799). The field is referred to as 'wall nook' on both the Dixon plan of 1774 and the 1838 tithe apportionment where it is under the tenancy of Thomas Bellerby. Bellerby also farmed North Wall Nook, the open area to the north of the rectory boundary. Wall Nook is recorded as grassland in 1838 and there is no visible evidence of any preserved ridge and furrow which might suggest the area was never cultivated although the ground is heavily disturbed each year by the Houghton Feast. Nevertheless it has remained undisturbed/undeveloped since the medieval period.
Northern Archaeological Associates Ltd. 2014, Rectory Park, Houghton-le-Spring, Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording; J Dixon, 1774, Glebe Map (DUSC Add MS 1676 (1774)); Houghton Tithe Plan, 1838 (DUSC)