Tyne and Wear HER(16205): Houghton-le-Spring, Old Rectory, tower - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Old Rectory, tower
A three-storey pele tower was constructed with external stairs by Rector Kelyng, who was responsible for the fortification of the building in the 15th century. The tower was demolished in the late 18th century as part of Thurlow's alterations. It was described by Thurlow in 1792 as a stone tower covered in slate to the south west of the house. 40ft by 20ft [12.2 x 6.1m] containing a cellar floored in stone, a lodging room with deal floor, plain ceiling and paper hangings. It also contained a servants' garret with deal floor, plain ceiling and bare walls. The tower is shown on the 1774 Glebe Map by Dixon.
Northern Archaeological Associates Ltd. 2014, Rectory Park, Houghton-le-Spring, Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording; J Dixon, 1774, Glebe Map (DUSC Add MS 1676 (1774))