Tyne and Wear HER(16206): Houghton-le-Spring, Old Rectory, chapel - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Old Rectory, chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Detached private chapel to the east of the Old Rectory (HER264) constructed by Davenport in the mid 17th century. The chapel is listed in Thurlows 1792 survey as built of stone and covered with lead. Length 13 yrds, 2ft, breadth 6 yrds, 2 ft [12.5m x 6.1m]. The tower was demolished in the late 18th century as part of Thurlow's alterations.
Northern Archaeological Associates Ltd. 2014, Rectory Park, Houghton-le-Spring, Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording