Tyne and Wear HER(16233): Willington, Engine Inn, public house - Details
Willington, Engine Inn, public house
The building which is later known as the Engine Inn PH is depicted on the 1839 Willington Tithe Plan. In existance in 1822. Occupied by Henry Wardle, blacksmith, in 1841. By 1851 one of this daughters, Jane, had become the licensee and was still there in the late 1850s. Records suggest that the name may have changed to the Anvil Inn in 1855 but that was short lived and it was the Engine Inn by 1857. By 1861 the pub had a new licensee, William Henderson a stonemason, he died in the late 1890s. Succsessive owners were: John Smart until c.1914, William Sowerby until 1920s, Thomasina Sowerby until 1928, John Sowerby until c.1931, James Miller until 1943, Mary Miller c.1945, Thomas Waite, George Pattison until 1956 and Thomas Roberts. A room in the Engine Inn was used for Church of England services for some time before St. Mary's Church in 1875. The Engine Inn was an important local institution and was extended to the east in the 20th century. It closed in 2005 and was burnt down. Demolished 2009.
Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Engine Inn, Willington - archaeological evaluation; Willington Tithe Map 1837 (NRO DT 511M); Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p24; Building Plan (TWAS UD.WQ BC 282)