Tyne and Wear HER(1625): Dunston, Dunston Power Station - Details
Dunston, Dunston Power Station
Electricity Production Site
Opened 1931, to the designs of Merz-McLellan for NESCO, and the first power station to have a simple structural frame and glass curtain wall construction. Extended in 1951 and still in use, but its future may be in doubt. First power station of frame and glass curtain wall construction in England/Europe. Extended in 1951 to same design. The job engineer, A. Howell, had travelled in Paris. Built for Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Lighting Co., now used by CEGB [in 1981]. Closed in the early 1980s and demolished in the 1990s.
<< HER 1625 >> Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, 1978, Dunston and Swalwell Plan Area Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, Record card