Tyne and Wear HER(16252): Ryhope, Leechmere House - Details
Ryhope, Leechmere House
In 1856 the farmer was Robert Weightman. John Hutchinson, shipbuilder and George Shaw Wrightman also occupied 'Lechmer House' (presumably tenants). The OS first edition map of 1858 shows a grand house in large gardens with what looks like a lake, several summerhouses and statues along the main driveway. The Carr has been dammed to create a fish pond. The site of the house is now covered by Edgmond Court. The name lives on in nearby Leechmere Way and Leechmere View.
William Whellan & Co, 1856, History, Topography and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham, p 616