Tyne and Wear HER(16267): Houghton-le-Spring, Field House Farm - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Field House Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Field House Farm (c.1890) consists of two two-storeyed ranges - the Main Range and the North Range forming an inverted T plan. A single-storeyed South East and South West Range adjoined either end of the longer Main Range and returned to the south. The South East Range has been demolished but the short South Range remains in ruinous condition. The buildings are constructed of roughly-coursed yellow Magnesian Limestone rubble, with raised quoins and dressings expressed in olive brick (original) or orange brick (secondary phase). The original roofs where they survive are of Welsh slates, but have partly been replaced by corrugated sheeting. Farm buildings are of local interest, notably in demonstrating late 19th-early 20th century building techniques in which variously-coloured brickwork were used as an economical alternative to cut stone quoins and dressings. Changing agricultural needs of the later 20th century needs for larger spaces to house machinery and vehicles have meant that floors have been removed and walls demolished, so that little more than the shells of parts of the original buildings survive today.
P Ryder, 2014, Field House Farm, Houghton-le-Spring - historic building recording