Tyne and Wear HER(16269): Chilton Moor, coal depot - Details
Chilton Moor, coal depot
Coal Mining Site
Coal depot shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Plan 1857. Possibly gone by the 1890s. The coal depot was archaeologically excavated in 2016. It took the form of brick floors on the south-east side of a railway embankment (HER 3620) arranged around a large stone structure, composed of squared shaped sandstone blocks. The coal depot was subdivided by a central dividing wall. There was a square brick pier at the eastern end. The depot was open to the west and the eastern side was cut into the railway embankment. The heavily-decayed remains of a timber superstructure were found in both bays. A substantial brick culvert ran in front of the depot. After it went out of use, the coal depot was covered by thick deposits of silty coal waste from surrounding spoil heaps. A thick deposit of clay sealed the site as part of a 20th century ground remediation measure.
Ordnance Survey First Edition 1857; Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2013, Chilton Moor, Fencehouses, Tyne and Wear - archaeological assessment; Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2014, Chilton Moor, Fencehouses, Tyne and Wear - Geophysical Survey; Archaeological Services Durham University, Feb 2016, Redburn Row, Chilton Moor, Tyne and Wear - archaeological evaluation and earthwork survey; Archaeological Services Durham University, Feb 2018, Redburn Row, Chilton Moor, Tyne and Wear - post-excavation full analysis