Tyne and Wear HER(16308): Low Fell, Gateshead College, Technical Block - Details
Low Fell, Gateshead College, Technical Block
Further Education College
The Technical Block was constructed in the early 1950s, it was the first purpose built college building on the site although it was designed to complement the main college building (HER 16310). It was typical of institutional architecture of the period with the external appearance reflecting the internal arrangement. The Technical Block was a single storey range aligned north-south accessed off East Park Road. The building was divided into three equal parts and was constructed from red brick with ashlar detailing to complement the main college building. It had been re-roofed with corregated iron. The college opened on 15th November 1955. It later partly became the Centre for Visual and Creative Arts. The building was recorded in 2012 by URS ahead of demolition.
URS, 2012, Gateshead College, Durham Road, Gateshead - historic buildings recording