Tyne and Wear HER(16314): Birtley, Birtley Lane, Queen's Head, public house - Details
Birtley, Birtley Lane, Queen's Head, public house
Early 20th century public house of two-storey height and a cellar. Earlier buildings are shown on the site on mid 19th century plans but these are not thought to be The Queen's Head. The public house and adjacent coach house were probably in existence by 1906. The coach house (now demolished) was linked to the north-west corner of the pub by a yard wall. The Queen's Head building was recorded by ASUD in 2012 ahead of its conversion into a residential property. The building retained few of its original fireplaces and cornices.
Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2012, The Queen's Head, Birtley, Tyne and Wear - archaeological evaluation and building recording; Archaeological Research Services, 2009, The Queen's Head Hotel, Birtley Lane, Tyne and Wear - archaeological assessment