Tyne and Wear HER(16328): Hetton-le-Hole, National and Barrington School - Details
Hetton-le-Hole, National and Barrington School
The National and Barrington School is described in Whellan's directory of 1856 as a stone building erected by subscription in 1834 at a cost of £350. It was originally built for 200 boys but then enlarged to accommodate 120 girls. In 1893 a school opened for the girls on Bog Row and Barrington became boys only. Under the patronage of the Hetton Coal Company, the Hon. Mrs Russell Barrington, Colonel Shepherdson and the Rev. George Fox. ? Wilson and Mary Ann Hall are listed as teachers. In March 1940 the school became Hetton Church of England Boys School. It closed in 1954. Coursed and roughly squared limestone with coped gables on shaped kneelers and modern tile roof. Now a mini market.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas