Tyne and Wear HER(16330): Hetton-le-Hole, Front Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - Details
Hetton-le-Hole, Front Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel erected in 1824. The chapel contained 350 sittings, 150 of which were free. ‘Enlarged’ 1858; might original chapel be the schoolroom (dated ‘1859’) alongside? 350 sittings of which 150 free (Whellan 1856, 621). As the church building grew, so did the number of members. The Sunday school accomodated 400 children. It was not only a school but also a library and reading room. The chapel was enlarged in 1888 to hold 500 and an organ installed. Closed 1965. Chapel is now a house while the Sunday school is vacant.
Whellan, W, 1856, History, Topography, and Directory of the County Palatine of Durham; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas