Tyne and Wear HER(16345): Sunniside, Union Cottage (Caraig Thura) - Details
Sunniside, Union Cottage (Caraig Thura)
The tenant of the land was Robert Thirlaway. His grandson Thomas Grey Thirlaway came here from Streetgate Farm around 1855 and built Union Cottage. He died there in 1907. He was a foreman of the cartmen at Marley Hill Colliery. His daughter continued to live there with Miss Telford, infants teacher at Marley Hill Colliery School. After the Second World War George Tulip ran a poultry farm there. A whale jaw formed an arched entrance to Union Cottage. In 1963 Tulip moved to Lintz Hall Farm to expand his egg and poultry business. The cottage has been extended to double its original size and is now called Carraig Thura.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Loosing Hill, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/loosing.html; URS, 2014, Land at Street Gate, Sunniside - Archaeological Assessment