Tyne and Wear HER(16346): Sunniside, Garden Cottage - Details
Sunniside, Garden Cottage
A stone cottage, single storey with three rooms and a red pantile roof. Jack Richardson, sexton at St. Cuthbert's Church at Marley Hill, lived here from 1890 to 1914 and called it Garden Cottage. There was a market garden of 3 acres. In the 1920s and 30s, Stan Douglas, market gardener and cowkeeper, lived here. In 1955 the cottage was condemned by Whickham Council. The plot has been used to grow cabbages and leeks for many years, and recently Christmas trees.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Loosing Hill, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/loosing.html; URS, 2014, Land at Street Gate, Sunniside - Archaeological Assessment