Tyne and Wear HER(16358): Streetgate, Gateshead Road, Marquis of Granby Public House - Details
Streetgate, Gateshead Road, Marquis of Granby Public House
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of c 1858. Two storey sandstone pub with ashlar quoins. Red tile roof. Sanstone chimneys. Sah windows. Brick extension. On the first edition map this little cluster of buildings is called Streetgate Lane. The pub is named after John Manners (1721-1770). He was a hero of the Franco-Prussian War 1756-1763. Britain was an ally of Prussia. Set in the front wall of the pub is a stone lintel from an earlier house inscribed '17 R T H 83'. This probably refers to Robert and Hannah Thirlaway of Streetgate Lane. They are buried in Whickham churchyard. Bill Dobson was landlord in 1841. In 1856 the pub was called the Granby Arms. In the 1860s Bill Laidman was landlord. He was also a brakesman on the railway. The pub was rebuilt around 1900 by Isaac Bewley of Dunston.
Ordnance Survey first edition 1858; Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Streetgate, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/streetgate