Tyne and Wear HER(16370): Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Traveller's Rest (The Greyhound) - Details
Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Traveller's Rest (The Greyhound)
The Greyhound was a beer house built around 1858. It was a stone building. Robert Fenwick, a cobbler, was the first licensee. During the 1870s Alexander Livingstone was the landlord. He also worked at Marley Hill Coke Ovens. In 1891 the beer house was called The Board and was run by George Stott, a butcher. His younger brother William was also a butcher and a beer house keeper (at the Rose Shamrock and Thistle). By 1894 the name had changed to the Traveller's Rest. In 1910 Richard Dillon was landlord. He had grown up on Granby Terrace and worked at Marley Hill Coke Ovens. Around 1912 the stone building was replaced by the present brick one. The pub cellars extended under the neighbouring fish and chip shop (now Hebe & Co). They were strengthened for use as an air raid shelter. Around 1929 Tom Punshon moved here from the Black Horse in Burnopfield. Boxing tournaments were held at the rear of the pub. Later Marley Hill Colliery Band practised here.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html