Tyne and Wear HER(16374): Sunniside, Alexandra Terrace - Details
Sunniside, Alexandra Terrace
Built just before 1914. The southern half was built first. It was known locally as 'Honeymoon Terrace' because the new tenants were mostly newly-weds. Electricity was installed around 1933 and flush toilets in 1937. From 1914 to 1921 No. 1 was a baker's and confectioner's shop owned by George Cook. Around 1922 Robert and Elizabeth Appleby took over the shop. In 1928 their daughter Sarah and her husband Walter Greenhill took over. The bakery had two ovens in the rear yard, heated by coke. The bread and cakes were dlivered by horse drawn van. Around 1932 Joseph William Hall came from Leadgate to run the bakery. His son Havelock took over after the Second World War with his wife Louise.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html