Tyne and Wear HER(16375): Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Unired Methodist Chapel - Details
Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Unired Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
United Methodist Chapel
The site was obtained from Lord Ravensworth on a 999 year lease for an annual rent of £2. The new United Methodist Chapel opened on 20th August 1910. It was built by William Hockey of Whickham to designs by Karl B Spurgin, Newcastle architect. It cost £1,210. The Douglas family of Lingyfine had private pews, paid for by quarterly subscription. A secondhand organ was bought for £275 and installed in 1922 to replace the piano. An electric organ was installed in 1955. In 1960 the choir vestry was enlarged.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html