Tyne and Wear HER(16376): Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Sun Inn (Rising Sun) - Details
Sunniside, Gateshead Road, Sun Inn (Rising Sun)
In 1841 William Wilson was the landlord at the Sun Inn. The Loyal William Hutt Lodge of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows met here in 1842. In 1850 it was Will Rutherford, who worked at Marley Hill Colliery. In 1856 it was Will Surtees. In 1861 Dorothy Storey ran the inn. Her husband Robert was a miner. The family had come here from Wylam in the 1840s to work in the pit. The Storey family lived at The Hole in 1851. In 1866 the Sunniside Benefit Society (a women's insurance club) met at the Sun Inn. Each member paid 9d a month into a general fund which was used to pay for family funerals. The remainder at the end of the year was divided amongst the members. In 1873 Robert and Reuben Storey were the landlords. By 1879 James Davison was the landlord of the Rising Sun. His wife was Margaret Brabban, eldest daughter of Robert Storey. James Davison died in 1888 and Margaret and her son Will, a miner, ran the pub. In 1890 Newcastle Breweries Ltd took over the Rising Sun from John Barras and Co Ltd. The brewery also bought the house next door, which had been built around 1860 for Will Rutherford. In 1881 Robert Walton, a butcher, lived here. In 1890, Will Stott, another butcher. The White family lived here just before the First World War. The freehold land west of the house measured 1 acre 6 perches. Margaret died in 1907. Joseph Davison took over. In 1907 the Marley Hill and Sunniside Unionist Association met at the Rising Sun. Joseph died in 1915 aged 39. His wife Louisa continued. Her brother Charles Esson ran the Marquis of Granby further down the road. In 1934 Jimmy Davison was the landlord. In 1955 Arthur and Doris Scorer took over. Doris was there until 1983. The building is painted white and has a slate roof. New windows.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html