Tyne and Wear HER(16381): Sunniside, Dewhurst Terrace - Details
Sunniside, Dewhurst Terrace
Built around 1902. Some were flats. In the 1950s Mrs McAvoy had a ladies' drapery shop at No. 18. It was an off-licence from the 1970s until 1993. Its now a curtain shop. No. 16 was a newsagents shop from the early 1920s until 1952. In 1921 PC Robert Shillaw lived at No. 14. It's now a barber's shop. In 1925 No. 13 became a fish and chip shop. Its now a Chinese takeaway. In 1921 No. 12 was a chemist's shop, run by Harry Ord. It has been a newsagents since 1952. It is now a post office as well. In 1925 No. 9 was a newsagents. After the War it became a General Dealers. It has been a chemist's shop since 1984.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html