Tyne and Wear HER(16383): Sunniside, Elm Street West, No. 8, Spiritualist Church - Details
Sunniside, Elm Street West, No. 8, Spiritualist Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Elm Street West was built by Harry Kindred in 1925. Joseph and Hannah Bell moved into No. 8 'Belmont'. They built a Spiritualist Church with a timber frame and corrugated metal sheeting next to the house. Prior to this, the National Spiritualists held meetings in James Bell's house in Cuthbert Street, Marley Hill. Locals called the metal church 'Spuggies Hall'. In the 1950s Cuthy Bell, a winderman at Marley Hill Colliery and his wife Emma lived at No. 8. In the late 1960s the church was damaged by vandals and was dismantled.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, Front Street, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/frontst.html