Tyne and Wear HER(16389): Sunniside, institute - Details
British Legion Hall
Where 'Enwood' now stands (No. 1A The Crescent), there was an institute built by the Marley Hill branch of the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers. The land was granted by the Earl of Strathmore. The institute was opened in September 1921 by the Rev. John Arbuckle. It was known locally as 'the hut' or 'Cranney's hut'. It had two billiard tables and held dances and whist drives. In the 1920s membership was about 100 people. In July 1921 the Marley Hill branch of the British Legion was formed. The Marley Hill and Sunniside branches ran the institute. They amalgamated in 1936.
Sunniside Local History Society, no date, The Crescent & Peter's Gates, Sunniside, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/crescent.html