Tyne and Wear HER(16393): Byermoor, RC Church of the Sacred Heart, presbytery - Details
Byermoor, RC Church of the Sacred Heart, presbytery
1882 by W H Wilson. Cost £1000. The Marquis of Bute paid half and Miss Surtees donated £50. Electricity was installed into the church and presbytery at a cost of £49. Roughly coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Two storeys. The two-bay west elevation has a gabled bay with a double-chamfered arched entrance, fitted with a six-panel door with over-light. There is a two-light shoulder-arched moulded mullion window to the left. On the first floor there are similar single-light windows. To the right is a second bay with a plain stone eaves cornice and a single-light window on the ground floor. The right return has a later flat-roofed square bay window with paired and single shoulder-arched windows and a conservatory extension. All have sloping stone sills. The rear elevation is plain with a single-storey brick-built lean-to extension at the south-east corner and a stone-built single-storey lean-to extension to the north-east corner. Both extensions are linked by a high stone wall with convex coping and a plain entrance with a blocked rectangular opening to the right. INTERIOR - the presbytery retains its original ground and first floor plan of stair hall with pointed plaster arch, access to the vestry and the principal rooms. There are four original four-panel doors and architraves throughout. Some rooms have panelled reveals and soffits and simple cornices. At least one first floor room has shutters. There is a single original fireplace on the ground floor. The original open-string dog-leg staircase has panelled sides pierced with trefoils, turned balusters, a ramped handrail and ornate newel post.
Sheila McGahon, Sunniside Local History Society, no date, A History of Byermoor Church, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/byermoor.html; Historic England (Designation), Consultation Report, 15 March 2016; Historic England, Advice Report, 8th August 2016