Tyne and Wear HER(16396): Byermoor, RC Church of the Sacred Heart Primary School - Details
Byermoor, RC Church of the Sacred Heart Primary School
When the new church (HER 16392) opened in 1876 the original temporary wooden church of 1869 became the school. 48 children attended. In July that year there was an outbreak of smallpox. In 1880 164 children were attending. On 14th October 1881 a storm destroyed the wooden building. Soon afterwards work started on the new school. The new building was opened on 5th January 1883. It cost £1600. One of the benefactors was the Marquis of Bute. In 1905 the school was extended to create 3 classrooms and a hall. The girls and boys playgrounds were separated by sheds.
Sheila McGahon, Byermoor Sacred Heart School, no date, www.sunnisidelocalhistorysociety.co.uk/c-school.html