Tyne and Wear HER(16453): Ryton, Elvaston Road, Jolly Fellows Public House (1) - Details
Ryton, Elvaston Road, Jolly Fellows Public House (1)
The original Jolly Fellows, or Three Jolly Lads as shown on the First Edition OS plan was a stone cottage probably dating to the 18th century. The location in relation to the village green would also suggest it was likely to have been constructed on the site of earlier properties and plots. The original building was L-shaped in plan and set over two storeys. The ground floor was divided by a central passage which separated the bar and two cellards on one side from a kitchen on the other. The plans suggest that public areas comprised three rooms on the first floor which were accessed from an internal staircase in the bar. A bedroom, presumably the landlords was accessed from an external staircase located at the rear of the property. A series of earth closets were located in the rear yard. The front elevation comprised three bays. The doors and first floor windows were furnished with dressed stone lintels. During the mid 19th century the building was also serving as a Post Office. In 1856 the landlord was George Forster, succeeded by 1858 by Robert Forster and by 1879 by Thomas Forster. In the late 1890s the property was acquired by a group of Newcastle wine and spirit merchants - John George Wood, John Wilkinson and John Davidson. They decided to rebuild the Jolly Fellows (see HER 12071).
Mike Griffiths & Associates Ltd., 2012, Jolly Fellows Inn, Ryton, Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording; TWAS, 1899, The Jolly Fellows elevations and plans as existing (UD.YR/59/239)