Tyne and Wear HER(16456): Newcastle, Forth Banks, King's House - Details
Newcastle, Forth Banks, King's House
Railway Transport Site
In 1904 a new goods station office was built facing on to Forth Banks - currently known as Kings House. This three storey structure (with additional basement level) was possibly designed by William Bell, the architect for the North Eastern Railway from 1877 to 1925. The construction of this building was involved the demolition of the previous office accommodation which was located to the north of the brewery buildings. Associated with the construction of this building was the construction of a Weigh Office with a weighing machine either side, at the access to the yard area at the N end of Kings House. This was demolished sometime after 1962, likely when the Goods Station was demolished in the 1970s. The Kings House continued to be used as offices until the present development works. The building was recorded between 2011-2013 ahead of restoration as part of the Newcastle Area Command HQ development. Three different phases of internal recording were undertaken during soft stripping. Points of interest within the building include the prinicpal stairwell which uses creamy-yellow glazed brick, with a dado course of brown glazed brick which follows the slope of the stairs. There is also a possible original light fitting and original fireplace on the first floor. The original building contained a library, billiards room, reading room, drawing offices, stores and a residential area on the third floor. The clock tower room contains the original mechanism for the first clock although the current timepiece is digital.
Addyman Archaeology, 2014, Newcastle Area Cpmmand HQ, Forth Banks Goods Station site, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Buildings Recording; North Eastern Railways Archives, 1904, Proposal drawings for Goods Offices; Addyman Archaeology, 2009, Newcastle Area Cpmmand HQ, Forth Banks Goods Station site, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment