Tyne and Wear HER(16461): Ryton, Elvaston Road, Elvaston Cottages - Details
Ryton, Elvaston Road, Elvaston Cottages
The Elvaston Cottages were located on the north side of Ryton village. The cottages are likely to be 18th century in date. Their relation to the village green would also suggest that they are likely to be constructed on the site of earlier properties and plots.The two storey buildings were constructed in a single phase. The terrace was divided into two blocks, each with a separate two bedroom and one bedroom property. Each block had a shared yard and outbuildings. There were no cellars. Prior to 1902 the outbuildings included a washroom, pantry, coal house, shed and cycle store. Sanitation was limited to earth closets. The cottages were contructed of stone rubble with thick walls. The chimneys and internal stacks were brick with ceramic pots and slate roof. The sash windows in the front elevation had sandstone cills and flat arch linters. The ground floor windows were shuttered. The roof and chimneys appear to be later 19th century improvements but the bulk of the property is thought to be 18th century. The sash windows are without horns indicating an early 19th century date at the latest. Demolished 1950s.
Mike Griffiths & Associates Ltd., 2012, Jolly Fellows Inn, Ryton, Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording; TWAS, 1902, Planning application for modification to building (UD.RY/59); Images in Gateshead Local Studies Image Collection