Tyne and Wear HER(1647): Blaydon Burn, upper railhead - Details
Blaydon Burn, upper railhead
Lifting and Winding Structure
Remains of a partially elevated railway which formerly comprised two lines running south-west from Cowen's coal screens. The structure first appears on the second edition OS (1896) but does not appear on third edition (1914) when the main line was probably diverted to the lower railhead. The area may have served as a road depot. The visible remains comprise a retaining wall with various phases of build, the earliest was sandstone rubble with some roughly squared and coursed sandstone blocks topped by curved coping stones. The south western end survives to its full height of just under 2.5m. The stonework continues north-east but is replaced in places by modern brick.
<< HER 1647 >> 1975, Blaydon Burn, Industrial Archaeology -Historic Environment