Tyne and Wear HER(16482): Gateshead, Coulthards Lane, canvas manufactory - Details
Gateshead, Coulthards Lane, canvas manufactory
Canvas manufactory shown on the first Edition Ordance Survey Plan, 1858 (not shown on 1850 map). Brick walls and the remains of a sandstone building (part of the canvas works) were excavated during a watching brief on the site in 2011. A sandstone block plith was found in an area marked 'engine' on the 1858 map. It may have been a support or base for a piece of machinery. The canvas works appears to have been independent of the businesses that surrounded it. It had a western and a northern boundary wall that enclosed a yard but also separated it from the Ellison Glass Works.
Tyne and Wear Museums Archaeology, 2011, Vacant land at Coulthard's Lane, Gateshead - Archaeological Watching Brief