Tyne and Wear HER(16497): Gibside Estate, quarry scars or crop pits - Details
Gibside Estate, quarry scars or crop pits
Coal Mining Site
A series of scoops in the north-west facing escarpment on the south side of the hollow way. Suggested as outcrop coal workings, these might alternatively be stone-quarries either for the waggonway bridge or the later Derwent Bridge. Before 1855 when it was conveyed to John Bowes, this area was part of Busty Bank farm belonging to Lord and Lady Windsor and subsequently the Marquis of Bute. Coal waste is scattered both on the escarpment and on the wooded 'plateau' above. This may derive from the waggonway, or there may be infilled and levelled bell pits on the 'plateau'. Exact date and function unknown.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment