Tyne and Wear HER(16498): Gibside Estate, Hollow way - Details
Gibside Estate, Hollow way
A continuation of a track visible on the east side of the modern estate entrance road and which appears to originate in an area of probable quarrying in the eastern part of West Wood. The track crossed the estate carriage drive from Busty Bank, running WSW through the plantation before developing into a pronounced defile cutting across the escarpment down to the River Derwent. This may be an early approach to Cow Ford, or a quarry track associated with the construction of either the 1727 waggonway bridge, or the later road bridge.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2011, New car parking Warren Haugh and West Wood, Gibside - Archaeological Assessment