Tyne and Wear HER(16510): Hedley, Hedley West House Farm - Details
Hedley, Hedley West House Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Hedley West House is shown in its original layout (a linear row roughly in line with Hedley Lane) on a plan of The Gibside Estate in 1822. In the 1850s-60s John Bowes redeveloped the buildings to the design of J.E.Watson in an E shaped plan. The tenants of the new build in 1856 were Peter and Alexander McLaven. In the late 20th century a new stone farmhouse was built to the north-east of the original. The original farmhouse has been heavily altered with the cartsheds redeveloped as holiday cottages.
A.R. Thompson, 2011, Hedley West House Farm, Gateshead - historic building recording