Tyne and Wear HER(16519): North Shields, Clive Street, Lindsay's Arms Public House - Details
North Shields, Clive Street, Lindsay's Arms Public House
The site has been developed since at least the early 19th century but the first reference of the building as the Lindsay Arms PH is on the first edition ordnance survey plan 1858. The building was enclosed by other buildings on the northern and eastern sides - these were later demolished and replaced by more modern structures of John Lilley and Gillie Ltd. The frontage of the buildings has undergone significant alteration compared to the little alteration at the gable ends. Internally significant alteration has occurred with the change of use from a public house to part of the larger Lilley and Gillie complex. The cellar was infilled with concrete in the 1960s. The first and second floors do contain some original features such as fireplaces, skirting boards, dado rails etc.
TWM Archaeology, 2011, Former Lindsay's Arms PH, 25 Clive Street, North Shields - Historic Buildings Recording; Tyne and Wear Museums, 2010, Lilley and Gillie Ltd., North Shields, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Assessment