Tyne and Wear HER(16527): Gateshead, Carr Hill Road, The Old Brown Jug - Details
Gateshead, Carr Hill Road, The Old Brown Jug
There has been an inn on this site from the mid-late 19th century with the development of Carr Hill Road. The pub served the employees of the local pottery industry. In the 1920s a large council estate was built. The public house was refurbished and altered to serve its new community. A 1926 lintel stone on the entrance door marks this change. Large structural openings were created to give a more open plan layout and several rear extenstion provided sanitary accomodation. After the closure of the pub the building lay derelict for a number of years. It was recorded in 2011 ahead of proposals for its conversion into residential accomodation.
Ely Architects Ltd., 2011, The Old Brown Jug, Gateshead - Historic Buildings Recording