Tyne and Wear HER(16553): South Shields, Mill Dam, Seamen's Mission (1) - Details
South Shields, Mill Dam, Seamen's Mission (1)
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The Mission to Seafarers in South Shields dates back to c.1818 when a local branch of the British and Foreign Sailors Society was established. Following the use of a floating Mission Church on the HMS Diamond (HER 16554) a new building was established on the site of the former bottle works at Mill Dam. On October 27th 1884, the foundation stone was laid by Dr Lightfoot, Bishop of Durham. The completed building opened May 25th 1885. The building consisted of two floors, the church being on the first floor and a reading room on the ground floor. An anonymous donor presented the Mission with a commodious steam launch in 1894. This enabled the Mission to extended its operations on the river. The launch always had the Flying Angel hoisted for all to see. In 1921 due to the increasing number of seafarers around Mill Dam the vacant German Sailors' Home was acquired as the new Mission (HER 11976).
North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) S86.001; SOUTH TYNESIDE LOCAL LIST REVIEW 2011: REFERENCE NUMBER: LSHA/9/SS;